“The Book of Will” and “Dreamgirls” are among the highlights of the Phoenix Theater Company’s 2022-2023 season.
“The Book of Will” is the story of efforts to preserve William Shakespeare’s legacy while “Dreamgirls” is the popular musical detailing the rise of a Motown-style singing group.
In addition to these plays, the performances presented are “A Chorus Line”, “Bandstand”, “Cinderella”, “Constellations”, “An American in Paris”, the world premiere of “Tiananmen” (based on the events in China) and a final show to be announced. The scheduled shows will all be presented at the Phoenix Theater Company’s multi-venue campus in the Central Arts District.
Most will be performed at the MainStage Theater due to renovations to expand the Hormel Theater from 250 to 500 seats.
“Our spectacular 103rd season is full of enchanting stories of possibility, promise of tomorrow and a passionate love for theatre,” said Michael Barnard, production artistic director, in a press release.
“Commemorating our perseverance over the past few years and embracing the future growth of the Phoenix Theater Company is our goal,” Barnard said. “The ambitious lineup of large-scale productions will provide beautiful shared experiences of laughter, tears and inspiration while capturing our commitment to artistic excellence.
What is on the stages of the Valley? Best plays, Broadway musicals and other shows to see
Phoenix Theater Company Calendar 2022-23
- “The Book of the Will”, Aug. 31-Sept. 25. An unforgettable true story of love, loss and laughter that sheds new light on Shakespeare, and a race to preserve his legacy.
- “Bandstand”, Sept. 21-Oct. 23. Will musical fame bring hope, purpose and redemption to a group of WWII veterans?
- “A Chorus Line”, October 19-December. 18. This dazzling, dance-filled confessional is for anyone who’s ever risked everything for a dream.
- “Cinderella”, 16 Nov.-Jan. 1, 2023. A spin on Rodgers and Hammerstein’s timeless classic for audiences of all ages.
- “An American in Paris”, from January 25 to March 12, 2023. Romance, dance and bewitching melodies by George and Ira Gershwin.
- “Constellations,” March 1 through April 30, 2023. A spellbinding story about fate, chance, and choice and a cosmic collision of romance and relativity.
- “Tiananmen,” from April 12 to May 14, 2023. This epic musical is inspired by the protests that defined a generation in China.
- Show to be announced, June 7-July 9, 2023. “It’s so new that we can’t announce it yet,” Barnard said.
- “Dreamgirls,” Aug. 2-Sept. 3, 2023. Every star has a story in this glamorous and high-energy Motown hit.
How to get tickets for the upcoming season
The 2022-23 subscription packages will go on sale to the general public on May 23, 2022. The subscriptions will go on sale on July 11. Current subscription holders will be able to renew their subscription package starting April 4.
Details: Phoenix Theater Company, 1825 N. Central Ave., Phoenix. 602-254-2151, phoenixtheatre.com/.
Contact the reporter at [email protected] Follow her on Instagram @sofia.krusmark.