Get your daily digest of crypto-asset and blockchain-related news – by investigating stories that fly under the radar in today’s crypto news.
- In an update on its bankruptcy filing, the Singapore-based crypto lender Hodlnaut said he was facing “ongoing proceedings” with Singapore’s attorney general and the Singapore police. In addition, the company said it had laid off 80% of its employees, or “about 40 employees”, “in order to reduce the company’s expenses”.
- The US trustee is seeking to appoint an examiner in the Celsius (CEL) bankruptcy case, MarketWatch reported, saying Celsius has repeatedly failed to provide a detailed breakdown of its mining operations. They said a reviewer needed to look into the role Celsius management may have played in the platform’s illiquidity. The move met concerns speak Unsecured Creditors Committeearguing that the move will only increase costs, without bringing any significant benefit.
- The Central Bank of Nigeria Governor Godwin Emefiele said in a speech that Nigeria’s central bank digital currency (CBDC), eNaira, has been used to conduct transactions worth NGN 4 billion ($9.4 million). ) since its introduction in October 2021, adding that the eNaira app has been downloaded. 840,000 times and currently has around 270,000 active wallets.
- The 2022 MTV Video Music Awards (VMA) added a “Best Metaverse Performance” category. Six artists are in the running nomination: BTS, Blackpink, Ariana Grande, Charli XCX and Twenty One Pilots.
- Africa got a live metaverse called Ubuntulandwith a 3D virtual reality (VR) experience, Africararesaid a press release shared with Cryptonews.com. Africarare has secured a 12×12 village (144 virtual real estate lots) to establish its visibility, in collaboration with the Austrian Global Data Laboratory (WDL), which acquired a 6×6 village. WDL said it would use this virtual real estate to “help improve the quality of life of Africans and raise awareness on key impact topics”.
- The South African Reserve Bank (SARB) said in its new guidelines that the country’s banks “may act as a conduit for funds” related to crypto service providers and “may play a role in customers wishing to purchase” or “receive currency payments.” fiduciary” in their bank accounts for selling crypto.
- The Central Bank of the Philippines issued a warning note, “strongly urging” citizens of the country not to deal with virtual asset service providers (VASPs) that are not registered or domiciled abroad. There are 19 registered VASPs.
- Digital safethe UK Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) – Registered Crypto Custodian which is part of the EQONEX Groupadded support for Binanceit is BNB Channelallowing customers to now hold assets running on BNB Chain, including BNB, BUSD and BEP20 tokens, in their Digivault accounts.
- Australian crypto exchange Swyftx is laying off a fifth of its staff (21%), in a move described as a “difficult decision” in a blog post. 74 people lost their jobs because they “operated in an uncertain business environment, with national inflation levels not seen in more than two decades, rising interest rates, very volatile markets in all classes of ‘assets and the potential for a global recession,’ he said.
- Singapore-based crypto exchange BHEX.SG announced that it had received the Standard Payment Institution license from the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).
- One of Japan’s largest financial services providers, SBI Holdings, said it was closing its mining operations in Siberia as the war in Ukraine creates general uncertainty in the market. According to a Bloomberg report, the move is linked to sanctions imposed on Russia for its invasion of its western neighbor Ukraine.
- fintech Ripple partnered with local bank Travelex to bring its RippleNet On-Demand Liquidity (ODL) product to Brazil. This makes Travelex the first bank in Latin America to use Ripple’s ODL, and it is also the first bank registered and authorized to operate exclusively in foreign currencies, the press release said.
- Digital Asset Custodians Copper integrated with the Solana (SOL) blockchain to support decentralized finance (DeFi), the company announced. Through the integration, customers will be able to interact with Solana dapps and transact under the protection of CopperConnect’s Multi-Party Computing (MPC) technology, they added.